Con tecnología de Blogger.

Thoughts about a walk around Panama City

By 7:16 p.m.

Recent reports such as the Human Development Index, prepared by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), located Panama in the first position within the Central American region and the fifth in whole Latin America. According to the World Economic Forum, Panama is the second most competitive country in Latin America and the fastest growing economy of the region. A lot has been said by local politicians and visiting leaders alike about the country's privileged situation within the global panorama. Well, not all that glitters is gold.

Not too long ago, I watched a film whose last scene I couldn't take off my mind for quite a while. I'm talking about the 1950 Mexican movie "Los olvidados" ("The Forgotten Ones", U.S. "The Young and the Damned"), by acclaimed Spanish filmmaker Luis Buñuel. I'm a huge fan of his work, but this one in particular will help me illustrate my point.

The plot revolves around the lives and misadventures of a group of kids in a Mexico City slum. Buñuel gives us a realistic depiction of poverty in this metropolis, with his usual surrealistic elements here and there. This movie makes me  think about my own city.
Are these reports accurate in representing the situation of the majority of Panamanians? I don't think so. I mean, I'm not saying these statements are false, but there are other aspects besides, of course, the usual information that is being told to us and which supposedly should make us feel proud about our country.

On one of my last walks around town, I could perceive a reality that is pretty different from that one presented to us in commercials and publicity ads. As I strolled through the streets of several neighbourhoods inhabited mostly by Panamanians of lower income, I could see that there is in fact a deep problem in the distribution of wealth. The whole city is full of brutal contrasts that we just cannot ignore. And let's not even mention the increasing violence everywhere around town.

I don't think there are fast solutions to these problems and this post doesn't aim to solve them. I just thought it would be helpful to present other pictures that aren't precisely those of the city's skyline, malls and financial district.

On the last scene of "The Forgotten Ones", one of the main characters, El Jaibo (the leader of a street gang), kills Pedro, who is an innocent boy that is at the wrong place and at the wrong time. As Jaibo tries to run, the police shoot and kill him. Not wanting to attract the police, Meche and her grandpa dump Pedro's body down a garbage-covered cliff. As the body rolls and falls among piles and piles of garbage, I couldn't help to think that the most affected individuals by poverty and violence are kids. Like the title of Buñuel's film, I ask myself: Aren't we forgetting the forgotten ones?

Pelea de barrio. 
Homeless people sleeping outside the National Theatre. 



San Felipe. 

Stray dog in San Felipe. 

En la Bahia de Panama. 

Streets of Panama City. 

Gallera de Barraza. 

San Felipe. 

Barraza. 

Santa Ana. 

Santa Ana. 

Santa Ana. 

Santa Ana. 


The forgotten ones. 



You Might Also Like

0 comentarios