Con tecnología de Blogger.

#1: Watching the sunrise over Cappadocia in a hot air balloon

By 3:07 p.m.

Without a doubt, this one-of-a-kind experience had to be on my list of best travel moments of the year. For it was beyond anything I could have ever imagined I would experience during my young years.

Flying over Cappadocia's dreamy landscape in a hot air balloon was something I'll cherish forever. It was also the one thing I was saving up for during the entire trip. I'm sure that I can travel as far and as long as I want to, but what I saw in the historical region of Central Anatolia is quite unique and not to be found anywhere else in the world.

Perhaps a bit of history can help us understand why this surreal landscape is so special. Millions of years ago Asia Minor(now the center of Turkey) was still covered in water. Due to increasing fracturing process of the land that emerged, deep fissures and large depressed areas were created allowing magma to surface and create the Erciyes (the highest mountain of the region), Melendiz, Develi, Kegiboydoran and Hasan cones.

After many eruptions, these volcanoes grew in size and formed a volcanic chain that ran parallel to the Taurus mountains in southern Turkey. The geological activity and the action of rain, snow and wind changed the landscape of this region giving it its special and unusual appearance.

To sum it up, this wonder of nature located in the heart of Turkey is the result of millions of years of  intense volcanic activity and the action of natural forces.

Now to the best part of it. The fantastic rock formations of this region have become a very popular spot for hot air ballooning. In fact, I was truly impressed to see how well organised tourism here is and how the locals are getting used to see people from all over the world.

As a funny anecdote, each and every single time we said we came from Panama, everyone mentioned we were the first Panamanians that they met in their lives.

The day we booked our hot air balloon flight we had to wake up really early, because part of the experience is watching the sunrise over Cappadocia. A transfer is arranged by the balloon company to pick you up at your hostel/hotel at 5 am. Selami, the guy at the reception of the hostel, helped us out by knocking on our door before 5.

You're taken to the take-off spot and you're offered tea and coffee and some snacks before the flight. Security measures are explained, while joy and excitement are in the air. You can feel it everywhere, your head is somewhere else. I just wanted to hop in that basket, as the darkness of the night slowly vanished and made way  to the first light of day.


 Finally, the wait was over. From one moment to the next, I was up in the air and felt so free, so at peace and unbelievably happy to be alive! Just looking at the impressive rock formations from above, the orchards, the pigeon houses, the vineyards and the other balloons which rise up in a feast of colors, as garlands decorating the surrounding beige-colored valleys and mountains.

One thing was clear in my head during the balloon flight: the world we're living in is so spectacular that no combination of words put together to honor its beauty could explain how wonderful it is.
It was a rush of blood to the head that left me breathless.


The Uçhisar castle  as seen from the hot air balloon.
 Fatih, the balloon pilot, was explaining some facts about the region when he interrupted himself and told us to look at our right, as the sun was rising over the snow-covered mount Erciyes.

"Good morning people. We're happy to welcome you here in Cappadocia".

It was without a doubt one of the most amazing moments of the trip.


Uçhisar castle.

Flying over the surreal landscape of Cappadocia.

With Fatih, the balloon pilot.
I wish you have enjoyed this list as much as I did. I loved every single moment and describing them hasn't been all that easy.

Moments like these renew my image of the world, giving me the chance to see it as a place that's not hostile nor desolated. We live in a wonderful world with wonderful people and so much to be discovered. As in my favorite Foals song, I truly believe we fly balloons on a fuel called love.

Happy New Year!Frohes Neues! Feliz Año Nuevo!

Astrid.

Find me on:
instagram: @spiegeleyetravel
facebook: SpiegelEye travel blog
Contact: astrid_14893@hotmail.com
500px profile: https://500px.com/astrid_14893

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios