Con tecnología de Blogger.

The beginning of a cycle

By 7:22 p.m.

I like to think life is composed of cycles. You begin one, it leads you to a discovery and subsequently to an end. But what happens if we keep repeating these cycles? Every single time I wake up in the morning I repeat one. Let me tell you more about it.

Haven't you ever asked yourself if you really like the city you live in? You see, sometimes we take things for granted and never ask ourselves if anything could be different.

When I was still a student (this wasn't so long ago), I used to take the bus to University. During these bus rides, which on some occasions were hell on Earth, I had time to think about Panama City. Why aren't there enough sidewalks? Why do people keep parking their cars on the few sidewalks there are? How come the public transportation system doesn't meet the needs of the growing population of this city? Why do pedestrians have to fear for their lives whenever they cross a street? These reflections were pretty long sometimes, due to the fact that it was almost unbearable to be standing in a bus for more than 2 hours when it takes just 15 to 20 minutes from my house to the University. As I said, the public transportation system is totally unreliable and inefficient in a city quite often presented as the most prosperous of Central America. Boom!

Inside the bus you had to pray to avoid the spot near the air conditioning leak, but when it's quincena (pay day) and 4:00 pm, you'll suffer anyway. If you want to try and make the ride more pleasant, music's the option. Unless a chacalito takes out his super cool Iphone and listens to his music without earphones so everyone enjoys it too. And my friends know I'm never sarcastic.

So, this all leads to the next question: How come we don't dislike our city, when it is almost inhospitable for humans? In an effort to change my mind, I wanted to paint with light the beauty of scenes I used to see everyday on my way to University or around my block.

After a long day, the best idea was to just grab my sneakers and jog or take a walk around my neighbourhood with the intention of relaxing at my favourite place. From there, you have the best view of the Cerro Ancon, the skyline, the Pacific Ocean and the Metropolitan Park, to me the most beautiful of all the interesting places to visit in Panama City. With this sight before me, I convince myself of the following: "To dislike the city is to dislike yourself". I swear the world looks more beautiful from up there and I know it is a rather messy, but wonderful city and I'm at peace again. Then I walk home and the cycle starts all over again.


Tumba Muerto. 



Dos Mares. 
Tumba Muerto. 
Plaza Edison. 

Plaza Edison. This graffiti no longer exists.  
Plaza Edison. 

The beginning of the cycle. 




You Might Also Like

2 comentarios

  1. Sometimes I would like to start a campaign of giving earphones for those ones who listen "La tanda del bus"

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Hey there! Let me know if you start that campaign and if it works out! Greetings, Astrid.

    ResponderBorrar