Con tecnología de Blogger.

Me voy pa' Bocas Town!

By 4:27 p.m.

I don't exactly remember at what time the alarm went off on that sunny Wednesday. I just know it was quite early in the morning. After a quick shower, I finished packing my back and left my room at Mamallena hostel, a wooden colonial house conveniently located at the main square of Boquete. One of my favourite towns in the whole world, this gem in the Panamanian highlands is a haven of tranquility. A place blessed with the purest and most astonishing nature; a trip to Boquete means slowing down the pace of life, sipping on a cup of excellent coffee grown in the area, and watching the clouds slowly roll over the peaks of the valley. Looking out the window of Mamallena to the main square, I felt pure bliss to once again be able to wake up in a place as beautiful as this town.

At a quarter to nine it was time to catch the shuttle that was going to transport me and a group of fellow travellers all the way from the slopes of the Baru volcano to the archipelago of Bocas del Toro on the Caribbean coast of Panama. This is without a doubt the most scenic drive in the country because it crosses the continental divide, and thus provides some of the most spectacular views of the Talamanca mountain range. I struggled to stay awake, but it was worth every single second of the journey. From exuberant cloud forests to the Caribbean coastline, the six and a half hours drive left me with some of the most beautiful impressions of my country. Nestled amidst a sea of green, small huts on each side of the road belonging to Ngabe-Bugle indigenous families are a testament of the other not-so-charming side of Bocas del Toro, which has historically been one of the most isolated provinces of Panama.

It was almost midday when we stopped at Changuinola to stretch our legs. Built by the United Fruit Company, this town served the needs of the banana people, both workers and executives. Our last stop was Almirante, a town also created by the United Fruit Company which served as the main port for the banana exports. It was here where we boarded one of the boat taxis that take people to Bocas Town on Isla Colon, the main island of the archipelago.

As soon as you arrive in Bocas Town, you should bear in mind one very important thing. When in Bocas, you'll have to leave the city life behind for a while. No pretentious people are allowed, so don't come here to show off.

Upon my arrival a man approached me. He introduced himself as Nino, and immediately helped me find my way to the hostel. In the meantime he explained about the tours to other islands. Bocas Town has experienced a tourism boom in the last 20 years, and it is currently one of the favourite destinations for backpackers in Central America. This has brought about big changes for the local population.

After checking in the hostel I went out for a walk around town. By that time Bocas had already cast its spell on me, with its relaxed atmosphere and the laid-back vibe of its people. With every soft breeze coming from the sea I felt contented. I was at home. I have been to many places, but I will tell you something. Few places are as beautiful as the Caribbean.

Nino recommended spending the rest of the day at Isla Carenero, which is just a few hundred metres from Isla Colon. The beach was not full of people so I had this piece of paradise all for myself. Back on Isla Colon the sun started to set over the rooftops of Bocas Town. It is true you know, the lyrics of Señor Loop's "Bocas Town". Whenever you close your eyes you'll be immediately transported to this place.

Pretty shades of pink and blue were reflected on the calm waters. It was a splendid sunset. I understood that the Caribbean will always be within you, and you will always long to see it again. The fine line between imagination and reality starts to blur, and your mind wanders from one good thought to the next. Gabriel Garcia Marquez brilliantly described it as the 'Caribbean problem', which makes reality resemble the wildest imagination.

---

You can book your stay at Mamallena Hostel Boquete and Bocas. I highly recommend you book your stay with them: super friendly staff, great atmosphere, and the best locations!



You Might Also Like

0 comentarios