Con tecnología de Blogger.

Food as culture: From South America to Europe (Part 2)

By 11:49 a.m. ,

In my previous post, I shared some of my best food-related experiences during my travels in America. The second part consists in a guide to the best drinks and meals I've had across Europe. To understand European food traditions, you must first realize that even though this is a small continent, customs and food related traditions differ from region to region. Diversity is a key word, and I just hope to get the chance to keep traveling in order to discover all the delicious well-kept recipes that define the identity of the people thoughout Europe.

13.Salmorejo and Flamenquines in Córdoba's Jewish Quartier
Córdoba's Judería (Jewish Quarter)  represents one of the not-to-miss places in Andalusia. But you should also know, that Andalusia is a paradise for people who love dining, and eating out at a tabern or restaurant can be one of the most remarkable experiences ever. Córdoba is well known for its salmorejo, a cold tomato purée resembling gazpacho, but it is much thicker and creamier in texture, because it includes more bread.  There are several variations in Andalusia, like the porra antequerana (from the region around Málaga and Antequera) that includes bits of tuna. Also popular to the cuisine of Córdoba are the flamenquines, pieces of pork loin wrapped in serrano ham coated with breadcrumbs and then deep-fried. Glory.


Salmorejo cordobés at Taberna de las Comedias, Jewish Quarter, Córdoba
Flamenquines are usually served with french fries. Sooooo delicious!
14.Costa wine and Alhambra beer in Granada
Before my Spain trip, I read somewhere that in Granada, I had to order a costa wine. Not even knowing what it was, I had one on my first night in Granada. This wine has a more acid taste and comes from a wine producing region called Contraviesa-Alpujarra, located south of la Sierra Nevada. Another must in Granada is Alhambra beer. The Alhambra Reserva 1925 is probably one of the best beers I've ever had. Named after the Alhambra Palace in its hometown, Reserva 1925 is an ultra premium lager brewed and matured for 35 days making it one of Spain's finest lagers. Please take me back to Granada!
Costa wine on my first night in Granada. It was served with bread and manchego cheese. Also in the picture, me and my brother's name written in arab. You can get this done at the Alcaicería (the bazaar in Granada) for only one euro.

Drinking one Alhambra Reserva 1925 after a day at the Alhambra Palace seems about right!

Alhambra Reserva 1925


15.Lunch in a tetería árabe (Arab Tea House) in Granada's Sacromonte
Granada is that one city that you have to discover on foot. What I particularly like about this city's neighbourhoods is that they tell the story of the people that have inhabited the region over the centuries. One of the places whose energy I found compelling was the Sacromonte, better known as the gypsy quarter, very popular for its flamenco nights. On our way to the Sacromonte caves, we stopped at the tetería Meknès for lunch. Dining and drinking tea in an arab tea house in Granada reminds you of the still strong influence that arab culture has in Andalusia. And suddenly, you forget for a minute that you're in Spain...
Arab tea house (tetería árabe) in Granada's Sacromonte

Tetería Meknès, Sacromonte

For lunch: moroccan bissara (a dish prepared with fava beans) and mint tea! Heaven on earth!

16.Drinking Glühwein at Christmas markets in Germany
When cold weather starts to kick in, Christmas markets start to appear all over Germany. The main squares of both large and smaller cities are decorated with wooden booths that sell all kinds of things and give the towns that quaint Christmas look that you won't find anywhere else. A traditional drink during this time of the year is Glühwein, a mix of red wine and spices served hot in a cute mug. This beverage warms me up even in the coldest winter night and gives me that warm cozy feeling that Christmas is approaching.
Christmas market in Lohr am Main, Germany. My brother, cousins Katrin and Moritz and uncle Jo.

17.Tapas in Madrid
If there is something more popular about spanish cuisine than tapas, then I don't know what it is. Whenever you order a caña (small beer), quite often a tapa (an appetizer) will be served with it for free. But in our case, my brother and I were hungrier and had lunch at the Bodega tapa bar right next to the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. Common tapas are patatas bravas (fried potato dices), ensaladilla rusa (little Russian salad), tortilla de patatas (spanish omelette), empanadillas and the list goes on and on...A paradise for people who love to drink and eat out!
Description of every pincho from left to right: pincho of spanish omelette and anchovies, pincho of ensaladilla rusa, pincho of spanish omelette (I think jaja), pincho of breaded meat fillet and the last two pinchos of spanish omelette!

18.Santo Tomé Mazapán in Toledo
When in Toledo, about 70 km south of Madrid, you must try the mazapán (marzipan), a sweet which consists primarily of sugar or honey and almond meal. This is Toledo's most famous dessert and it is often prepared for Christmas. We tried the mazapán of the Santo Tomé bakery, located in the old quarter of the city and in business since 1856. Totally recommended.
Mazapán de Toledo

19.My Grandma's delicious Kartoffelknödel with Rotkohl and Braten
When writing this post, I couldn't forget to include my Grandma's delicious Knödel and Braten. Often regarded as a national dish of Germany, a Braten is a pot roast that can be prepared with a variety of meats: beef, lamb, pork, venison, etc. The recipe varies from region to region. Before cooking, the meat is marinated in a mixture of vinegar or wine, water, spices and herbs. In my family, a Braten is a meal prepared on Sundays, where the whole family enjoys this delicious dish with a glass of wine. A common side dish prepared with Braten, is Kartoffelknödel and Rotkohl. Kartoffelknödel are as the word explains, potato dumplings that are typical to many german and czech regions. You can also prepare Semmelknödel, bavarian bread dumplings. These are prepared with pieces of  day-old bread, a bavarian specialty!!! Rotkohl is a sort of cabbage that has a red/purple color after prepared.  There is no other dish that I love to eat more than this one!
On Christmas morning, the whole family came to Giebelstadt to celebrate. There wasn't enough space for everyone, so we, the cousins, ate at a table set for us right next to the dining room. In this picture, rotkohl and sauce.
Delicious potato dumplings

20.New Year's Brezel all over Germany
Food and traditions are two words that when put in the same sentence, create some of the most memorable moments and tell about the identity of people and the place they come from. In Germany, it is very common that on the morning of December 31st or on the first day of the year, people give each other a Neujahrsbrezel, in english New Year's Pretzel. According to the tradition, this pastry is supposed to bring luck for the upcoming year and protect against disease, hunger and misfortune.
Neujahrsbrezel from Konditorei Scheuermann, the bakery of one uncle in our hometown Giebelstadt, in Lower Francony


21.'Schoppen' in Lower Francony
Mainfranken or Weinfranken. Francony is a region known for its wine, specially the city where I come from, the magnificent Würzburg. The wine of the city is so special, that Goethe once wrote to his wife "Send me some Würzburger, because no other wine tastes so good and I'm annoyed when I run out of my favorite drink". This phrase I found in a book about the wine of the region describes it better: "In Francony, wine drinkers look serene and reverent. Their gaze is relaxed by the wine but it is held in a pious severity".
Schoppen is the word used to name a glass of wine in Francony
An old Bocksbeutel bottle in my home. These are the bottles of the wine producing region of Francony

22.All-you-can-eat chocolate in the parisian Champs-Élysées
So, french people aren't exactly known for producing the most popular chocolate, but during a stroll along the Champs-Élysées, I saw this cute booth selling all kinds of chocolate. I have a natural predisposition for this sweet, so I couldn't resist.
Chocolate is a part of my sweetest memories, here during Christmas time in the Champs-Élysées
 Traveling and eating are two of the biggest pleasures one can enjoy, so every time you go away, even if it is to the neighbouring county, don't forget to be adventurous and try new dishes!
Even though I know this is just a small list, I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I did...

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios