Con tecnología de Blogger.

Pyramids and desert sounds

By 2:30 p.m.

Waking up early during vacations has never represented any trouble to me. Specially the day I was going to visit the Pyramids of Giza. 
Well, turns out to be that I woke up a bit late that day.
So, I got out of bed and hurried to get ready as fast as possible:ate breakfast, put comfy clothes on as I was told by my uncle and off we went. 
We must have drove around the desert for half an hour, since Ulises mentioned there are several ways to get to the Pyramids from his home in 6th of October. As a matter of fact, 6th of October is within a 10 minute drive from the Pyramids, but that day he drove around a little bit.
The desert is so incredible. So vast, every now and then a small mosque on one side of the road and immensity as far as the eye can reach.


The Great Pyramid or Pyramid of Khufu, one of the seven wonders of the Ancient World and the only one still in existence.

The town of Giza with two camels on the foreground.

This made me think about a song I heard a while ago, called "Ya Rayah" or in english "Oh, traveler". Many translated versions all over the internet say that it means "Oh, emigrant", but the truth is I don't think there's an accurate word that translates the arabic meaning correctly. So, I choose the title traveler.

Although the song has a fast pace and its verses are decorated by the lovely sound of ouds and other north-african instruments, it has a very sad meaning. It talks about leaving one's home in the search of new opportunities and how every effort one does will fail, but at least it points out that one is not alone in this destiny: many others will face it, which gives the song a sense of solidarity.


--

Overlooking the course of daily life at the Giza Plateau from the Great Pyramid.

The massive structure of the Great Pyramid

The archaelogical site on the Giza Plateau includes the three massive Great Pyramids, The Great Sphinx, several cemeteries, a worker's village and an industrial complex. The Giza Plateau is located near the town of Giza, approx. 25 km from Cairo city centre.
I had always associated Ancient Egypt with the Pyramids and as a child I would imagine myself visiting this place one day as an explorer or a great traveler.


"Not all those who wander are lost". 
According to "Ya Rayah" and my travel experiences, this phrase is "Not all those who wander are alone..."

The Great Pyramid or Pyramid of Khufu/Cheops
More about the Pyramids on my next posts! Join the SpiegelEye family on Facebook by liking the page SpiegelEye travel blog and enjoy more travel pics on the instagram @spiegeleyetravel

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios