Con tecnología de Blogger.

A postcard from the Pyramids

By 2:11 p.m.

What if we could only keep memories, instead of holding on to people, places and things?
What if everything we were allowed to take in our luggage was simply a camera, our documents and only the absolutely necessary, say a couple t-shirts, pants, your underwear?

During my last trip, I got to spend a lot of time in many airports: in Tocumen Intl. Airport I waited to board my flight to Amsterdam; in Schiphol I waited a couple of hours before heading to Germany and a couple of days later I was back in Frankfurt for my next adventure: traveling to Cairo. Long story short, I had plenty of time to observe the people around me and to think about what I was holding on to until that moment. Turns out to be, sometimes we carry an even heavier luggage than the 22 kg that most airlines allow us to take: we carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. Our families' worries and concerns, our friends' problems, our daily occupations back home. We never realize how heavy this burden is, until we get the chance to go away.

So, what if we told ourselves "Go without worries. Have no fear. Leave your troubles behind".
My grandma, who was a brilliant woman and a role model, once wrote to my mom:

 "Al final, lo más extraordinario que existe es transitar por esta vida recogiendo solo lo que ella tiene de sublime"
"In the end, the most extraordinary thing that exists, is to transit through this life gathering only the sublime moments"...
                                                                                        
That day I visited the Pyramids of Giza, I felt these words very close to me. There I was, as little as my existence is, in front of the mighty Pyramids with my uncle and his wife, two very special people. I forgot about my worries and concerns and what I could see before me was shining in such a bright light. I could almost sense it growing inside of me, a feeling of serenity and peace. From the viewpoint, the sight was fantastic: the Pyramids, Giza and Cairo, the desert and camels. I sat down to take a mental photograph, one of those postcards that stay with you forever.

I'm sure this was one of the sublime moments my grandma was talking about...

You can see the three Pyramids from the viewpoint at the Giza Plateau


From left to right: The Great Pyramid or Pyramid of Khufu, the Pyramid of Khafre and the Pyramid of Menkaure, the three largest Pyramids.

Lauren, Ulises and I.
The Pyramids of Khufu and Khafre.

The Pyramids and the city: its just fantastic to see this perspective, the city seen from the desert. I imagined how it looked like when Cairo was Fustat or when Fustat didn't even exist.
 
 For my grandma Aura E. Lescure R.

Follow SpiegelEye travel on Instagram: @spiegeleyetravel
And Facebook: SpiegelEye travel blog

Astrid. 

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios