Con tecnología de Blogger.

Capturing the essence of Coptic Cairo

By 5:30 p.m.

One of my favorite things to do in a new city is to stroll around and find interesting and inspiring corners and streets. What I love the most about this, is that I always end up discovering the most charming places, where my mind creates stories that unfold so quickly that I don't even know where they started.

Drawing inspiration from quaint streets, unknown paths and new places gives me a nice feeling, such as the one I have when I read a good book or watch a great movie. For me, it is all about looking at the world with different eyes, taking a moment to see how everyday actions affect the places we live in and understanding how this interaction molds our ideas and conceptions of the world.

In the end, it is not about all the monuments you've been to. What's truly beautiful is the energy you take from the places you visit.


Entering Coptic Cairo


Old Cairo or Coptic Cairo consists in a network of narrow streets, adorned by Coptic crosses and images of saints venerated by Copts.

The balcony you see in the picture is typical in Old Cairo houses.

Impressions: I loved the strong earthy colors of the walls of Coptic Cairo

The best thing of walking around is getting lost. We ended up at this small square, when we were trying to find the Abu Serga church.

Copts have their own Pope and bishops. You can see posters like this in Old Cairo.

Again, colors are to me the most impressive feature of the walls of Coptic Cairo. Plus the simplicity of structures is also remarkable.

I loved every minute I spent in Old Cairo. How not to love this place when there is so much to see.

Saint George was everywhere to be seen. I visited Coptic Cairo one week after his feast, 23 April.

Saint George adorning the streets of Coptic Cairo. I loved the colored light bulbs and how they looked with Saint George.
Keep reading SpiegelEye travel blog for more posts about my time in Egypt.
Follow my instagram @spiegeleyetravel for more pics
Facebook: SpiegelEye travel blog

Take care,
Astrid

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios