Con tecnología de Blogger.

The finishing brushstrokes -a brief reflection about light and faith

By 3:08 p.m.

Before I continue writing about my trip to Egypt, I wanted to mention a couple of last impressions about Coptic Cairo. 

Perhaps the oldest neighbourhood of the city, the compound includes some of the countries' oldest and most important churches. The walled city that is Coptic Cairo was even more impressive to me because I  like to remember places through colors, scents, feelings and associations. 

I always thought that Copts led a difficult life, given the fact that they are a religious minority. But after I visited Coptic Cairo, I realized one must never simplify problems. This one lesson, which is pretty hard to learn, is something that I bear in mind ever since. This is why I encourage you, whoever you are, to read more about the subject, as I sure will.

Having said that, another impression of this place is the tremendous need of faith in a world that is spinning out of control. I could almost sense something sacred in the air. I must confess I'm not a practicing catholic, but what I felt in this place made me feel that we belong to something greater than us. This faith, this idea, is something worth fighting for. 

Last but not least, I can't finish this post without writing about colors. The afternoon light gave the walls of Coptic Cairo an unusually wonderful allure. 

I can assure you I had never seen colors like these before. It was as if the last sunbeams of the day were the finishing brushstrokes of a painter who will never reveal his or her secret.  





Exterior of the Coptic Museum.

St. George Church as seen from the Mar Girgis subway station.

An explosive damaged the Mar Girgis subway station. 

Metro sign near Mar Girgis station.

What is left of the Babylon Fortress. With my little cousin Adrian on this pic. 

Entrance gate to the Hanging Church. 

A view from the top of the 29 stairs that you have to climb to reach the Hanging church. 

Egypt's History in pictures. The Coptic Popes pose with Mubarak, Morsi and on the far  right with Mahmoud Abbas, President of the Palestinian State. 

Some pictures don't need any descriptions. 

The golden rays of the afternoon light give this part of the city a very special color. 
Have a great Friday,
Astrid

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios