Con tecnología de Blogger.

The always vibrant and bustling Spice bazaar of Istanbul

By 7:24 p.m. ,

If you think you've challenged your senses enough, try going to a bazaar. No matter which bazaar in a Middle Eastern or North African country you visit, there'll always be plenty of amazing objects and food that you've never seen before.

Today I'll write specifically about the Egyptian bazaar in Eminönü, close to the Galata bridge. This L-shaped covered market consists of about a hundred stores selling primarily spices, which is why it is also referred to as the spice bazaar. You can access it through any of its 6 entrances and walk through its visually appealing stores. The Mısır Çarşısı (how it is called in turkish, Mısır is the word for Egypt and also for maize) is the perfect place to find products that are typical in Istanbul, such as baklava or lokum (the famous turkish delight), all kinds of spices and cheeses, dried fruit, perfumes and soaps, and so on. Because of the increasing tourism, some vendors are also starting to sell souvenirs in their shops.

After attending prayer time in the New Mosque, the Yeni Camii, I walked around the Eminönü plaza for a while. To me, one of the best ways to really immerse in the new place you're in is to try some of the activities that locals do.

During this brief walk, I could understand much better the invisible traits that give a city its unique energy. It's almost as if with every step you take, you're learning this new language or cultural code that can only be discovered by exploring and observing what surrounds you.

The large variety of teas and spices that you can find at the Egyptian Bazaar is impressive. 

This is what heaven looks like to me. 

I couldn't help but laugh at this. They even sell the wind of the city in perfume! 

Walking through the Egyptian Bazaar. 
It's so exciting to venture in a bazaar, because you're exposed to so many new flavours, colors and smells. Even if your intention is not to buy anything, you'll have the time of your life as your eyes slide in a continous motion from one spice to the next and your taste buds indulge in a delicious honey-packed dessert.

As for me, I always love finding opportunities to talk to locals and start conversations. During one of these exchanges, I was offered a special price when I approached a vendor of Turkish soaps. After haggling with him for a couple of seconds, he told me I was probably his last client of the day and therefore he wanted to give me something special. The next thing he did was take out a large plastic bag full of little soaps and he mimicked a hand picking something and a fist full of it. So I walked out of that store with not only two turkish hamam soaps, but a bunch of other smaller ones.

 Then there was the tea shop. I walked in the store only to realise I had just walked in a place where a vivid exchange between a group of men of advanced age was taking place. Completely ignored by them, the youngest of the bunch approached me with a big smile on his face. With a lot of patience and love for his job, Enes explained about the variety of teas and tips for the preparation of an authentic turkish tea. Not that I didn't listen to one of the old men farting right next to us, but I still thought that it was funny and had so much fun. So I walked out of there with a mix of their love tea and a cute teapot.
There's so much to see, eat and smell in a bazaar! It's so exciting!

Bazaar scenes.

Bazaar scenes. It's always crowded there!

All kinds of dried peppers hanging from the ceiling. 
With Enes and his favorite tea, pomegranate tea. 



















If there's a city whose colourful markets and bustling beat I will never forget, that's Istanbul.
Astrid.

Find me on:
instagram: @spiegeleyetravel
facebook: SpiegelEye travel blog
Contact: astrid_14893@hotmail.com
500px profile: https://500px.com/astrid_14893

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios