Con tecnología de Blogger.

Chronicles of my wanderings in Southern Germany

By 3:24 a.m.

There is no better place than home, some say. When home is in two different countries, you surely learn how to appreciate the beauty of simple things and cherish every moment you spend with those who really matter. That's why nothing makes me happier than arriving in Germany. And to clarify, it's not just Germany, but Southern Germany. 

Those of you who have travelled to the south definitely know what I'm talking about. Fachwerk houses at the main city squares, Baroque and Rococo churches and chapels in almost every town, the so-called 'onion' towers that are so common in the architecture of this part of the world,  the countryside with its intense shades of green and brown and the farmers working all year round to harvest the freshest produce, the list goes on.

I loved that time of the year when my parents told me and my brother we were going to spend Christmas with Oma in Giebelstadt, the town where she lives. In Panama we have our long school break from December to March, which is why it was only possible to travel during the winter. So, this year I got to see my beloved South in a different season, perhaps my favourite one: the summer.

This time of the year gives you the perfect excuse to just rent a car and aimlessly drive around until you're hungry or have found a place of interest you want to check out. First we drove to the Ammersee, one of the most beautiful lakes of glacial origin in Bavaria. From there we made several excursions to other small cities around the lake, we spent a day in Munich and also managed to go to the Starnberger See. On the next post, I'll share with you all the amazing sights during our time there.

Because all good things must come to an end, we returned fully relaxed to Giebi and rented another car to travel around Franconia and the neighbouring region of the Taubertal (the valley of the Tauber river). We got to see lots of interesting places such as the city of Weikersheim with its castle; Creglingen and the Herrgottskirche (Lord's Church) with the famous altar and masterpiece of genius woodcarver Tilman Riemenschneider; the eight-sided chapel of St. Sigismund in Oberwittighausen, which is probably one of the most interesting structures I've ever seen! It's thought to have been built by Crusaders during the 12th century; and many day trips to Würzburg, the closest city to Giebi and to me the most beautiful one in the South of Germany.  I'm not writing this because I'm a Würzburger. I'm writing this because there's a magical energy in the air that makes you want to stay. Call it charm, call it Franconian lifestyle, or call it what you want. Würzburg is magical.

I would love to write more facts and interesting stuff, but I want the pictures to speak for themselves.
So, let me take you on a summer adventure to the charming south of Germany!
Weikersheim. To the right, a good example of an 'onion' tower.
Weikersheim. 

If I had to choose an image to represent Franconia, it would certainly be this one. 

Weikersheim. 

Herrgottskirche, Creglingen. 

Creglingen. 

Window views from my room in Giebi. 



Somewhere in the south...
Somewhere in the south...

In Bavaria the horizon is green.

St. Sigismund chapel, Oberwittighausen. 

St. Sigismund chapel, Oberwittighausen. 




Oberwittighausen. 
Oberwittighausen. 



Outside St. Sigismund chapel, Oberwittighausen. 
Das Käppele, Würzburg. 
My pearl of the Main river,Würzburg. 

Das Käppele, Würzburg

Käppele

Marienberg Fortress and vineyards in Würzburg
Käppele 

Happy in Würzburg. 

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios