Con tecnología de Blogger.

The Cappadocia adventures: Avanos and Goreme

By 11:24 a.m.

When visiting rural areas the traveller might think that the fun is over. However, this is far from being truthful, as confirmed through my personal experiences. I have come to believe that familiarising oneself with new, more modest sights, allows the traveller to appreciate details of daily life that otherwise would be ignored or considered unimportant.

During my time in rural Turkey I was very contented to see and experience town life and the dynamics that dictate the course of daily events far from the country's metropolises. It was through the interaction with local people that I caught a glimpse of the kind-hearted nature of the inhabitants of Cappadocia. From my new friend Mustafa, who invited me for a tea and recited all the world's capital cities by heart, to one of the funniest conversations I've ever had with a man called Yunus, who explained his name means dolphin in Turkish. All these experiences configured my idea of Central Anatolia and are now the most beautiful souvenirs I have of that trip, memories that I carry with me everywhere and all the time.

The following pictures correspond to my daily wanderings in Goreme, my home in Cappadocia, and a day excursion to the town of Avanos, located on the Kizilirmak River, the longest river in Turkey. Avanos' most famous historical feature is the production of earthenware pottery, which is made with the red silt extracted from the river banks. This practice dates back to the Hittites and is still the most important economic activity of the town.

Goreme will always be very close to my heart. I can think of few places that have a similar atmosphere than that of Goreme, making it a special place that the traveller should take in consideration when travelling around Turkey. Even though some people say it has become a touristy town, I still found moments to enjoy the beauty of the Turkish countryside and the ever friendly nature of its inhabitants. A visit to the Goreme Open Air museum is enough to convince anybody of the exceptional historical and natural wonders of this region, adorned with ancient cave dwellings and primitive churches used by the first Christian communities.

Waking up every morning to the sound of a donkey outside the hostel and overlooking the amazing valleys of rock formations surrounding Goreme are impressions that I will cherish forever and that have cultivated in me a special love for the rural areas of the world.



Omurlu ceramics, Avanos. 

Omurlu ceramics, Avanos. 

Omurlu ceramics, Avanos. 

Omurlu ceramics, Avanos. 

Goreme Open Air museum. 

Goreme Open Air museum.



Goreme Open Air museum.

Goreme Open Air museum.



Goreme Open Air museum.

Goreme Open Air museum.

Exploring Goreme. 

Exploring Goreme. 

Exploring Goreme. 

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios