Con tecnología de Blogger.

A magical sunset at Lycabettus

By 5:22 p.m.

Sometimes our souls need cleansing from heartbreak and everyday struggles. When anxiety starts to kick in the best cure is to unwind. I believe that's why we seek refuge in music, films, and books. 

Picasso said art washes away the dust of everyday life from our souls, and I find this to be true. Just as art can help us make sense of a rather chaotic world, a wonderful sunset can bring peace to a worried soul. Sunsets are the universe's way of telling us everything will be okay; the world is a beautiful place, and there is no reason to panic. 

I was in need of one of such moments when I went to Greece in July, and I found art and beauty in every moment during my visit. I especially remember the magical sunset at Mount Lycabettus on my last evening in Athens. 

Before we headed to Kolonaki we stopped at Monastiraki Square to get takeaway pita souvlaki, my favourite Greek food (and Moussaka, plus everything I ate at my friend's house). Once in Kolonaki we walked uphill to the Lycabettus Funicular station, from which you ascend to the top of Mount Lycabettus, one of the jewels in the crown of the Greek capital.

Lycabettus appears in various legends and it is associated to wolves, hence the origin of its name in Greek: 'the hill that is walked by wolves'. We arrived just in time for the spectacular sunset, a show of colours and shapes with the amazing backdrop of the Athenian Acropolis and the rest of the city, which looked like a miniature from that spot. Roosevelt's 'Fever' started to play in my head; it was my anthem for the summer and the perfect song for that moment.

We sat down to contemplate the pretty hues of orange and red while eating our souvlaki, and I realised there is nothing better than enjoying the simple pleasures in life such as the company of good friends and a beautiful sunset. The last light of day covered the cityscape with a mysterious air, healing my soul as it slowly turned into blue.   

May the magical and healing power of sunsets always be with you! 

Magical sunset. 


On top of Mount Lycabettus.


Breathtaking Athens!

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios