Con tecnología de Blogger.

Scotland, the country that stole my heart

By 3:50 p.m.

When I look back at the time I've spent travelling and exploring new places, I realise that I mostly remember moments. In the end, it all comes down to those instants that take our breath away.  We remember the smiles we shared with strangers who became friends. We remember the joy of discovering new ways of thinking and living. The Scottish Highlands gave me a handful of those precious moments that I keep close to my heart and that make me look forward to more travel experiences.

---

"Are those Heilan' Coos?", I asked our tour guide and new friend Paul. We were driving through the highlands around the area near Loch Carron when I saw the majestic animals. "Well spotted," he replied and stopped the car just to look at the famous Scottish cattle breed. These beautiful animals noticed our presence and slowly approached us, and I knew it was time to prepare my camera. I was so focused on the animals that I forgot about the rest of the world.

Paul has spent a long time exploring the highlands as a photographer, hence he knows the best photo spots. He took us to a picnic area overlooking Loch Carron, and I took his portrait with the moody landscape at his back. Stormy clouds were rolling in over the lake, and I felt at peace just by watching such a sublime scene.

We briefly visited a small town, but I can't remember the name of the place. It was raining and it was pretty cold, but we decided to go for a short walk. Coincidentally we met an old friend of Paul,  a man he had photographed with his wife a while ago. The two men had a laugh remembering how they met, as well as the popularity of the picture.

After a long day on the road we were really exhausted, and Paul had the best solution for our tiredness. He took us to a local pub in a hunting lodge, where we snuggled up next to the fireplace while enjoying a local ale. We immediately fell in love with the cosy atmosphere of this place! It was definitely the best way to end our short, but incredible exploration of the highlands.

Hands down my favourite moment was when I saw for the first time the Isle of Skye from afar. We also stopped to take pictures. I was standing in silence while contemplating the landscape when Paul called my attention to the shells on the beach. I took one as a memento of Scotland, the country that stole my heart...



You Might Also Like

0 comentarios