Con tecnología de Blogger.

The 8-hour guide to Ocho Ríos, Jamaica

By 9:26 p.m.

In 2009 I took a cruise to the Caribbean. Together with good school friends, we spent a week at Orlando, Florida and set sail for a week of fun under the sun on board of the Costa Fortuna. Even though I've never been a fan of this kind of traveling, due to the fact that you don't have enough time to enjoy the destinations where the cruise stops, I was convinced that it would be awesome to take such a trip with friends.

Honestly, the destination that thrilled me the most was Jamaica. So, I was waiting for our stop at Ocho Ríos, a small city of approximately 10,000 inhabitants on the north coast of Jamaica. 
I must be honest, these were the times when I photographed with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS80, so the photos aren't top quality!

The port of Ocho Ríos

When I think about Jamaica, music comes to my head!

The port of Ocho Ríos, Jamaica
We only had half a day to take in as much as we could from Ocho Ríos and we were more than willing to make this quick stop an unforgettable memory. So we hopped on the bus and my playlist included (what a cliche!) some Bob Marley songs that Lourdes, one of my best friends, and I enjoyed on our way to the Dunn's River Falls. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures with my camera nor did anyone else, so I'm gonna have to ask you to use your imagination, or Wikipedia/Google Image search to picture out the most amazing waterfall!

The funny thing about Dunn's River Falls is that to climb the falls, you must hold hands and follow the directions of the guides for safety. This, of course, is the reason why taking pictures was impossible to me! What I remember to have loved about the place was the sight of the beach: the falls empty into the Caribbean Sea! Turquoise waters and a white-sand beach as far as the eye could see! It was the moment where I felt in love with the Caribbean!

We wondered how it would be climbing the falls holding hands. We even asked a guy who was standing there behind his souvenirs. "Irie", he said. I immediately asked what that meant. "Irie means everything's gonna be alright, remember you're now in Jamaica, the land of no problem". I laughed and thought about what he just said. It is true. There's a kind of relaxing energy flowing in the air, that makes you remember that Jamaica is special, not only because of its white-sand beaches and numerous tourist attractions, but because of it's people that give the island that charm for the one the country is known for.

City skyline: Ocho Ríos, Jamaica

Lourdes, one of my best friends and I!

After the Dunn's River Falls action, we visited a flea market. This was the moment to shop for souvenirs, but there's a catch. You must know, locals will try to sell you anything with insistency. So you must be calm and bargain. Don't accept the asking price, we were told. This part of the day was very amusing, as you share with locals and try not be scammed.

The flea market just outside Ocho Ríos

Learning to bargain!

Daily scene at the flea market


Bible reading at the flea market. 64% of Jamaicans are Christians, of which 62% are Protestant

There was this one vendor that I can't forget. I was trying to get this beautiful wooden carved image for 15 dollars less than the asking price. I remember having discussed for a long time with that woman. I realized by then that I had to accept a moderate discount (not precisely the price I wanted to pay), but that woman surprised me. "I consider you my friend and I want to give you a present". The next thing she does is give me a purse with a palm pattern and the words Ocho Ríos all over it.  "Take the purse, my friend, so you can put all your stuff inside. That way you'll always remember your stop at the flea market".

 I still have that purse to this day.



You Might Also Like

0 comentarios