Con tecnología de Blogger.

The pulse of Humanity

By 10:10 a.m.

Whenever you think you've lost your faith in humanity and things seem to fall out of place, people's faces become blurry and amidst the crowd you don't find a single friendly face that comforts you, don't lose your faith. Hold on to whatever it is that keeps you going. In my case, it is precisely the experiences I've made during my travels and the people I've met, what  turns on a bright light at the end of the dark tunnel of life.

During my trips, I've witnessed the all-encompassing niceness that is inherent to every human being. I've seen broken smiles, poverty in some of the world's most overpopulated cities and worries about economical and political issues, but I've also seen rays of hope, acts of kindness and selfless help provided to a complete stranger on the search of understanding the big and small dreams that everyone has when they go to sleep. It is during these moments that I feel the pulse of Humanity throbbing in my veins; the sense of belonging to something bigger than myself, bigger than all the problems and sorrows that appear in everyday life.

To name a few, I'll dedicate the next pictures to the people that have inspired me in the trips I've taken during these 3 years of college and whose mere existence or short/long term influence in my life have been crucial to come closer to the secrets of the complicated but inspirational events that mold our conception of the world. 

How could I forget the most perfect days spent with one of my best school friends Danilo in Mexico City.We got lost a couple of times in Coyoacán, but there wasn't a single minute which I didn't enjoy.
Cute little Fernanda in Xochimilco, Mexico City hugs me after we started a funny conversation about hobbies, swimming and mexican sweet treats.
The first hours in Bogotá were incredible thanks to the awesomeness of the Caterina family. We had so much fun during our stay. We went from the airport, to eat breakfast and on to the first adventure around the city. In the picture Anto, Giuse and Paolo.


Paolo and me at the Monserrate hill overlooking Bogotá by night.
Juan José's Family owns a Panama Hat Company in the ecuadorean city Cuenca. I enjoyed listening to the pride he feels about his family's business, his city and how important he thinks it is to keep traditions alive. Inspiring.

I couldn't forget to mention THE most epic bus ride of my life with my best friend Giuseppina in Ecuador. The bus driver hit 150 km/h while driving through narrow mountain roads.


I met Mayeli in front of La Compañía Church in Quito's impressive Old Town. We chitchatted about her school and hobbies and exchanged smiles. 



During my stay in Paris, I met the young and intelligent Khaled, who has travelled extensively and has some awesome stories from all over the world.




Santa is a vendor of mango salad. I met her durning a photo walk in Panama City's Calidonia neighbourhood. It was the best mango salad I've ever had.

Jordi is a vendor at Khan el-Khalili Bazaar in Cairo. We went there to buy a couple of souvenirs, but what was initially a conversation about prices, turned into a vivid exchange of opinions and an invitation to eat rice pudding.
Turkish journalist Serkan (in the middle) worked at the hostel where I stayed in Istanbul. Every night I went to the common area and we spent hours talking about turkish journalism, movies, politics and life. What a great guy.



On the search for the best views of Hagia Sophia, I followed the advice of the hostel owner and went to the Valide Sultan Hotel in Sultanahmet where I met Mr. Ramazan and shared many cups of tea and turkish coffee with the absolute most breathtaking views of the Historic Peninsula. Unforgettable.
The Lescure Zuleta family. I had so much fun with them and I'm so thankful that they welcomed me with open hands. Here a picture in Coptic Cairo, on one of our many excursions in the city.
I can hardly put in words the wisdom I've been taught during travelling, but here's a short list of what I've learned:

1. Behave. You're a stranger wherever you go. Don't impose your views of the world, accept cultural differences and embrace them.

2. Listen. The joy of travelling and going to far away places is to come in contact with realities that are unfamiliar to you. Enjoy listening and people will open up to you about their lives.

3. Get to know people. Don't ask things such as how much money do you make, what's in your bank account or that kind of stuff. Ask people how they feel and they might let you in. We are so obsessed with digits, money and statistics that we forget the simple and most basic things that we all share.

4. We are not that different from one another. I've come to learn this during these 3 years of college. We sometimes believe that our interests, cultural background or education makes us better than others. The truth is we are all pretty much in the search for the same things: love, friendship, understanding, forgiveness. We must not forget this.

5. Respect everyone. A basic rule for every traveler (well, not just for travelers but for everyone) is to respect the people you come in contact with. You have no idea who might help you, so don't go bossing people around or thinking they should follow your orders.Treat everyone as you want to be treated. 

6.Open your heart and mind to new experiences. I always try to observe this piece of advice. Have a clean heart and conscience. Make peace with your past and with whatever it is you did wrong or could have done better. We underestimate this, but it is in a burning desire to understand our significant others and their realities, that we take the biggest joy. Look at it as a way of learning from yourself. The more open your heart and mind are, the more you will get in touch with yourself.

This list could go on and on... I'm pretty sure you must have travel advices of your own. If you wish to share them just comment below so we can keep learning.

These days we've forgotten what it is to share and learn from one another. Let us never forget that we are who we are thanks to the experiences that have molded our personalities, and mostly, thanks to the people that, in one way or another, have hurted us, loved us, hated us, cared for us.

Have a nice Sunday,
Astrid

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios