Con tecnología de Blogger.

From within the walls of Coptic Cairo

By 2:34 p.m.



Coptic Cairo, also known as Old Cairo, is probably one of the most amazing places I've ever visited. An important stronghold for Christianity until the Muslim conquest of Egypt, it encompasses many historical churches suchs as the Hanging Church, the Abu Serga Church, the Greek Church of St. George and many other landmarks such as the Coptic Museum and the Babylon Fortress.  

Our intention was to spend the whole day there, but given the fact that we arrived after midnight from our Alexandria road trip, the plans changed. I set the alarm to wake up early, but in the end, it was the sun penetrating every single corner of my room what woke me up. I wasn't really sure what time it was, but I knew it wasn't so early. 

Nevertheless, we got ready to hit the road. Cairo traffic can be desperating, but the good thing is that you can perceive many details, this of course, when you’re not the driver. From the 6th of October City, where I was staying, you drive from the desert into the city, which is quite amazing ‘cause you get to see how the barren landscape slowly mutates and transforms in a living metropolis.
We got there around noon, short before the third prayer of the day.

Before I even start telling you what I saw and what impressed me the most, I think it is necessary to understand who are the Copts. 
So, here we go. 

The Copts are a Christian church in Egypt with worldwide following. As of 2012, about 10% of Egyptians are Copts. This means they continue being a religious minority group, even though they are the largest Christian church in their country and in the Middle East. 
The history of the Coptic church stretches back to the 1st century, when evangelist and apostle Saint Mark established the church. 
The Hanging Church in Coptic Cairo is one of the oldest churches in Egypt

The Coptic Orthodox Cross is everywhere to be seen.

The head of the church and the See of Alexandria is the Patriarch of Alexandria. The seat of the Coptic Pope is Saint Mark's Orthodox Coptic Church in Cairo's Abassia district. 
The precise differences in theology which caused the split with Coptic Christians are still disputed and revolve around the nature of Christ. 
  

The Hanging Church in Coptic Cairo

A view from the Hanging Church to the Greek Church of Saint George

With my cousin Adrian walking the streets of Coptic Cairo

There’s something within these walls that can only be understood while walking its streets. It's impossible to see it from without.
 A special energy is mirrored from the inside of the churches and takes you by the hand when visiting this place. 
It won't be easy to explain, but on my next posts I'll do my best to take you to the heart of Coptic Cairo and its wonders...

Follow me on instagram @spiegeleyetravel for more travel pics
and the Facebook page SpiegelEye travel blog

Have a nice weekend, 
Astrid

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios