Con tecnología de Blogger.

Rice pudding, tea and good conversations at Khan el Khalili Bazaar

By 2:05 p.m.

During my last hours in Egypt, I decidedly visited for the second time Khan el-Khalili Bazaar, which I so loved. The first time I wandered through its narrow streets and alleyways filled with vendors eager to make a sell and with beautifully handcrafted camel leather handbags, souvenirs and almost anything you can imagine, I felt that the place represents something beyond the idea of shopping.

To me, going to local markets wherever I go is the most perfect occasion to understand how commerce works and how people do business. It is also a great moment to take a look at how locals run their everyday errands and why not, talk to them and start making yourself a personal idea based on experiences of how things really are.

 I also had the chance to get a closer look at the amazing talent and skills that egyptian craftsmen display in each and every single one of their creations. Which takes me to the next nice encounter.

On the search for presents for my family, my uncle guided me to a shop on the second floor of a building inside the Bazaar. This store belongs to Jordi, an egyptian man who lived a long time in Barcelona, therefore he speaks perfect spanish. It was great to meet someone who spoke spanish, because I could finally have a long conversation with a local.

Jordi has some strong opinions on world issues, nevertheless that wasn't an impediment to notice how kind he was. He even sent one of his employees to get us egyptian rice pudding, which is by far the BEST one I've ever tried. I literally devoured it within minutes!

He also made sure we had enough tea and water to keep shopping in the best conditions. It is when you see this kindness that you fall in love with a place and its people.

Men gathered on a platform to perform their prayers, while the sun was setting over the rooftops of Khan el-Khalili, coloring the shops with a dramatic shade of red ... We packed the extra rice pudding with the presents we got from Jordi's store and walked for the last time among a constellation of lights coming from the aladdin lamps sold at some stores. The last impressions were as magical as the first ones...

When you feel this welcomed, you really don't want to leave.
But as the song says, all good things come to an end. And I not only felt that I was saying farewell to this city, but Cairo was also giving me the last notes of a soft tune that I now repeat from the distance...


We drank tea and soda before shopping at this small café near Khan el-Khalili. 

It's always a good time for tea and friends. 

Tea time. 

Haggling in Khan el-Khalili

At Jordi's shop.

This is the funniest ID I've seen! Not a real one of course, but still quite funky. 
Have a great week,
Astrid

Don't forget to follow @spiegeleyetravel on instagram for more pics and SpiegelEye travel blog on Facebook for more updates!

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios