Con tecnología de Blogger.

Wurzburg, the pearl of the Main river

By 1:32 p.m.

Today I'll be writing not just about another city, but about Wurzburg. The capital of Lower Franconia, a very distinctive region in northern Bavaria, has everything that makes a city unforgettable. And I'm not only talking about monuments and the weather.

Wurzburg was originally Celtic territory, but it was later settled by the Alamanni and the Franks. It wasn't until the year 686 that the city was Christianized by the Irish missionaries Kilian (the patron saint of the city), Kolonat and Totnan.

The city has a long history related to the Church, in fact, many of the city's most important governors were Prince-bishops, this means they had both power in the church and in the political sphere.

Enough with history. Let me tell you what Wurzburg is well-known for. The city has one of the best universities of southern Germany, and not to forget one of the oldest ones in the country. The Julius-Maximilians-University was founded in 1402 and it has seen brilliant people develop important discoveries such as the X-rays.

Being a Universitätstadt, Wurzburg is a melting pot where you'll meet people from all over the world. In a rough estimate, some 20,000 people of the city's 125,000 inhabitants are students!

There's also one old sayin' that goes like this: "In Würzburg hat man Zeit zum Leben", which means in English "In Wurzburg you have time to live". This city offers a great quality of life, since the most important places are within  a couple of minutes walk; if you want, you can use the excellent public transportation system, which I consider to be very adequate for the size of the city.

And if we talk about quality of life, I have to mention the city's wine. It is not a secret that Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Perhaps Germany's most revered poet and writer) once wrote to his wife: "No other wine tastes better than the Würzburger Stein and I'm sullen when I'm out of my favorite drink".

The city's landscape is crowned by vineyards planted primarily to Silvaner and Riesling grapes, which produce a distinctive type of wine known as the Steinwein. I have to agree with Goethe: no ther wine tastes better than the one of the city and I'm beyond happy when I can sit down and indulge my favorite drink.

Now let's talk about the main sights that you shouldn't miss if you ever visit this city:

Festung Marienberg. 
The Marienberg Fortress is located atop a hill that overlooks the city and is one of the most important not-to-miss sights. Located on the Main River, it now houses the Mainfränkisches Museum, which includes many sculptures of the famous franconian artist and woodcarver Tilman Riemenschneider.

One of the postcards you'll see from Wurzburg is the city's Fortress, the Old Main bridge and the Main river. Photo taken on a walk along the Mainkai (promenade along the river).  

The traditional bottle of wine of the region is called the Bocksbeutel and its characteristic round shape is recognisable everywhere. 

Perhaps one of the city's best restaurants, the Weinhaus zum Stachel is a classic if you want to discover the wonderful gastronomy of the city and the region. It is also one of the oldest restaurants in town, and its fame and tradition comes from the fact that it was a meeting point for the rebels during the German Peasants' War (1524-1526).

Wurzburg comes to life in a way no other city does: people enjoy sitting along the Mainkai or standing on the Old Main bridge while they sip  some Steinwein. 

Klein-Nizza, which is a part of the city's Ringpark, located in the heart of the city. Don't miss it if you want to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. 

The Juliusspital is one of the city's hospitals and  Germany's second largest wine estate and the biggest individual German wine grower. The city's history is linked to wine, I think this is proof enough. 

Located in the very heart of the city, the Residenz and the Royal Gardens are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. 
The Residenz zu Wurzburg is unique. The chief architect was Balthasar Neumann, who designed a palace in Baroque style that is said to be unique in certain features that are only found here. Not to mention that the main staircaise is decorated by the world's largest fresco painting, made by venetian artist Giovanni Battista Tiepolo.

But what amazes me the most of the Residenz is its reconstruction. You should know that Wurzburg was bombed by the Allies just months before the war ended. The city's inner core was destroyed in a 90 %, including the Residenz, which was almost completely burnt out.

The impressive Residenz and the Royal Gardens host the Mozart Festival every year during the summer. 

My favorite and most beloved people: Dad, Mom and my brother Adriano on the Old Main bridge

You must probably wonder why I love this city so much. Well, besides being my second hometown, Wurzburg is the one city in the whole world I can't wait to go back again.

I can't even begin explaining everything this city means to me, and everytime I'm in Wurzburg I feel as if I were at the right place and at the right time. It doesn't matter how many times I've been there, the views just never get old.

I guess that's the charm of Wurzburg, the beautiful pearl of the Main river.
My brother and I chill at the Marktplatz after eating one Bratwurst from the Marktplatz, the best one in the whole world. If you don't believe me, do go and get one. You'll devour it.  

Neumünster church. 

One of my favorite places in the city is the Lusamgärtlein, right next to the Neumünster church. This small court in Romanesque style is what's left of a cloister. It is also the resting place of the minstrel Walther von der Vogelweide. 
Wurzburg views never get old. 
Being German-Panamanian and having being raised in two very different cultures, it has been hard to embrace both of them. But every time I come back to this city, I get the chance to see myself from the inside-out. I breathe again. Wurzburg is always a great place to be.

Have a nice week,
Astrid

On coming posts, more Franconian cities that you should pay a visit to!

Follow: @spiegeleyetravel on instagram
Follow: SpiegelEye travel blog on Facebook

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios