Con tecnología de Blogger.

Bridges between civilizations

By 1:43 p.m.

My visit to Egypt coincided with the presidential campaign. Just three weeks after I left the country elections took place. Needless to say that it was a very important moment in the country's history. And therefore one of the reasons why I wanted to be there.

Before I left Khan el-Khalili Bazaar on my last day in Egypt, I witnessed probably the largest rally I've seen in my life.
We had already finished shopping for presents, when we started to hear people chanting and singing along music. I saw hundreds gathered in front of al-Hussein mosque (just outside the Bazaar), where a platform had been put up. The empty chairs on the platform could only mean that politicias were soon to arrive.

I literally had never seen something like that before. People had gathered to show support and sympathy to al-Sisi, then the most popular candidate, now the Egyptian president.

Egypt has been through so much in recent years. The Revolution of January 25, the overthrow of Mohamed Mursi, the Muslim Brotherhood's president, and now the return to the military rule in the hands of al-Sisi.

Some say that the Revolution failed and that life conditions in Egypt are even harder than when Mubarak ruled. I like to think that what I saw on that Saturday evening was a proof of a society that is maturing and growingly understanding its role in the decision making of the country. Kids, adults, the media, both men and women, even elderly people, took a stand and showed support to their candidate.

The fact that this took place impressed me and made me understand that it's not over yet for Egyptians. I believe they'll have to fight for creating the country they want to live in. But I'm sure they'll make it. In the end, we must not forget that they are the heirs of one of the most developed and brilliant civilizations of the Ancient World.



Rally in front of al-Hussein mosque just outside Khan el-Khalili.

I had to stop and take a picture of Al-Azhar University by night. It is the world's chief centre of Arabic Literature and Islamic learning. 

My cousin Adrian posed right next to an al-Sisi poster in Downtown Cairo. 
On my next post, I'll make a brief reflection about everything I learned during my stay in Egypt.

Have a nice start of the week,
Astrid

Follow @spiegeleyetravel (instagram)
SpiegelEye travel blog (facebook)

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios