Con tecnología de Blogger.

Cappadocia dreamin'

By 6:02 p.m.

Someone once said that the best dreams happen when you're awake. Cappadocia was for me one of the many dreams that have come true. I've already written several posts about this historical region in the heart of Turkey, but today I would like to narrate one of the most special moments of that trip.

Cappadocia is very popular for the hot air balloon flights that you can book in advance or at the hotel/hostel upon your arrival. Even though it is pretty expensive, this is a one-of-a-kind experience not to be missed. So, my brother and me were saving up money during the entire Turkey trip for this one.

I booked the balloon flight for one of our last days in Cappadocia, which gave us the chance to visit many towns across the region: Uchisar, Ihlara, Goreme, Devrent valley, Pasabag, the list goes on. A simple hike is enough to be amazed by the fairy chimneys and the valleys where you see fantastic rock formations as far as the eye can reach.

Since the balloon flights are always very early, the hostel owners at Terra Vista said they would knock on our door 15 minutes before the transport picked us up so we would be ready on time.

---

"Hello, time to wake up". The intense knocking on our door woke me up almost instantly. I opened the door and Selami, one of the hostel owners, was standing in front of me. "Today is your balloon flight", he said. I was still sleepy, but I was able to remember which day it was. I was so sure that the balloon flight was booked for the next day! "You must be mistaken", I told him. "Let me check downstairs and I'll be right back". I stood right next to the door while I waited for his confirmation. His facial expression told me everything even before he said anything. "I'm so sorry, your balloon flight is tomorrow".

I was ready to snuggle in bed again, when I decided to go to the rooftop of the hostel. I sat down at one of the tables of the terrace and watched the show from afar. Dozens of hot air balloons were being prepared for that day's flight. As the dark cloak of the night started to vanish, the hot air balloons went up in the air to  greet the sun over Cappadocia. The beautiful blue hues of the sunrise plus the colourful balloons and the splendid backdrop of the landscape were all elements of a scene that I will never forget. I was incredibly happy to be awake thanks to Selami's mistake and  to see someone else's dream of flying over Cappadocia come true.

 Cappadocia was just as magical from above as it was from the terrace of the hostel on that morning.


The 'White Hill' and all the surrounding valleys of Cappadocia. 
The town of Uchisar with the Uchisar castle. 

Uchisar castle from the other side. 
Cappadocia dreamin'
Cappadocia dreamin' 
View of Uchisar castle and the town of Goreme. 



Sunset in Goreme. 

Lonely walker in Goreme with the Uchisar castle in the background. 


Sunrise in Goreme. 

Ready for take-off! 

Cappadocia is just too amazing!

Sunrise in a hot air balloon. 

Flying over Cappadocia. 

Symmetries. 

Cappadocia dreamin'.

Best spot ever: the terrace of Terra Vista hostel. 


You Might Also Like

0 comentarios