Con tecnología de Blogger.

The always charming city of Edinburgh

By 8:56 a.m.

About 10 months ago I came to the UK to study my Masters degree in Film, Photography and Media at the University of Leeds. This was a huge change for me, as I never imagined that I would end up in this country.  I had always dreamt of studying in one of my countries of origin, Germany. But I chose to come to the UK because I had a good feeling about what destiny had in store for me here. My time in the UK has been full of highs and lows; it has been an opportunity to see myself and my practice from a different perspective. It has also been a time full of pleasant surprises. One of them has been the capital of Scotland, Edinburgh.

I went to Edinburgh for the first time in November of 2015 and liked it so much that I returned in January. What is it about this city that makes me want to go back? Well, Edinburgh is just absolutely charming and full of marvellous sights. I could write a long list of places you shouldn't miss if you ever visit Edinburgh, but I would also tell you that the joy of visiting this city is simply strolling around and taking in the lovely views from Calton Hill, Edinburgh Castle, Scott Monument, Palace of Holyroodhouse, and many more.

My favourite aspect of going to Scotland has got to be the friendliness of Scottish people. It might be that they are used to tourists, but in Edinburgh everyone was always smiling, helpful and friendly. Another highlight was to finally see the Scott Monument. Scottish people are probably among the few who would erect such an impressive monument to celebrate the life and works of one of their greatest authors, Sir William Scott.

Scottish literature is so colourful and traditional. There is this one author, Robert Burns, who wrote an entire poem about Haggis, another of my Scottish faves. Haggis is one of the meals you have to try while in Scotland. I won't tell you what Haggis is; you'll have to find out for yourself ;) Try it at a pub with a Flying Scotsman and indulge with the nice views this city has to offer. And by the way, the Haggis poem absolutely rocks! I had a Scottish guy recite it for me during Burns night in January and it was a life-changing experience. So cool!

Edinburgh is the gateway to the amazing and unique heritage of Scotland and its people. I will always gladly return to this beautiful city.

The following pictures were taken during my first visit. The second visit also deserves an entire article, which I will post tomorrow. Enjoy :)


Edinburgh <3 

The Royal Mile. 

Liz and her new friends. 

St. Giles Cathedral. 

The sound of bagpipes is everywhere to be heard! 

Details of St. Giles. 

The world's end. 

Playing with double exposure at Holyrood Abbey. 

Views from Edinburgh Castle. 

Scott Monument is one of my favourite sights in Edinburgh.
Holyrood Abbey. 

Arthur's Seat. 


Rainy Saturday night in Edinburgh. 


Edinburgh's Folly: the National Monument of Scotland, which was left unfinished due to a lack of funds. 

Views from Calton Hill <3 


You Might Also Like

0 comentarios