Con tecnología de Blogger.

Rome is love: meeting Dico

By 4:39 a.m.


Art can save lives. At least this was the case of Roman artist Enrico Di Nicolantonio, better known as Dico.
After a long day exploring Rome on foot, I was headed back to the hotel for some much needed rest. In that moment the sun was setting over the eternal city, giving the twin churches at Piazza del Popolo a mysterious look. The different hues of red and blue made the whole scene look like a Renaissance painting. I was experiencing the magical Roman sunset.

As I walked back to the metro station of the Spanish Steps, I stopped at what seemed an empty workshop. The exterior appearance of this store differed much from the opulence and luxury of the hotels, shops, and restaurants in this area.  I walked in, and entered the marvellous world of plexiglas and neon Dico, who was quietly working in the back of his studio on 195 Via del Babuino.
I  slowly approached him and he smiled.

He got to work immediately after he saw me. I curiously observed how he sprayed paint to a large print of a photo of the Spanish Steps, which are only a 15 minute walk from his creative haven. Every now and then he looked at me and commented his work in progress, and I replied with a "mi piace molto."

Dico experienced deep psychological pain during a time of his life, which made him believe he was never going to recover again. After playing around with a lighter and a plate of plexiglas, he discovered his passion for fire, and ever since then has used it for his art. His works are mostly depictions of Italian and American pop culture, as he lives between these two countries. He mostly uses plexiglas, neon, and spray paint or other industrial materials, bright colours and messages that always reflect his ideas about life in the United States and Italy.

Suddenly, Dico sprayed the words "I love amor" on the print, and explained to me that they could also be read as "I love Roma" if seen from a mirror. He proceeded to put on gloves and used paint to fill the Spanish Steps with his handprints in black.

At this moment I felt that the city and the artist were one. Dico, with his hands covered in paint, and the Spanish Steps, photographed by millions of tourists every year, seemed to me as part of the same mystery. The mystery of Rome and its imposing monuments and never-ending beautiful energy. An energy that could move anyone to overcome the deepest sorrows and face the unknown. Rome is energy, Rome is art, and above all, Rome is love.


For more information about Dico and his work, you can check his website.

Dico working at his studio in number 195 Via del Babuino, Rome. 

Dico at work. 

Dico at work. 

Dico at work. 

Work in progress. 

195 Via del Babuino: Dico's studio. 

"I love my children, I love my art, I love life."

Last details. 

Last details. 

The finished artwork: I love Roma/Amor.

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios