Con tecnología de Blogger.

A sweet summer escape to Athens

By 3:29 a.m.

Travel brings love and power back into your life. I confirmed this once again during my last adventure. A long time bucket list dream, I travelled to Greece in July for one week full of fun, sun, friends, and orange moons.

As the plane slowly approached Eleftherios Venizelos Airport, I couldn't stop looking out the window. Under the blue Attica skies, a multitude of small islands and green cliffs appeared so close, that I suddenly realised I had left the rainy English weather behind me, only to finally enjoy summer. My mind instantly switched off "thesis mode" and I forgot about the amount of work I had ahead of me in order to complete my Masters degree. Oh well, I thought. Everyone needs a little escape every now and then.

Kalimera Athens! I walked into the room of the hostel in Plaka, after dodging more than 10 taxis at Syntagma Square, and I felt an incomparable bliss as I sat down at the balcony overlooking life, in just another busy day at the Greek capital. During my first walk around Plaka I got lost in its narrow and buzzing streets, always full of tourists and with an unmistakable romantic vibe in the air. Every step I took guaranteed yet another impressive view of the Acropolis, which dominates the city skyline in this Mediterranean metropolis.

After my first walk around Plaka, I realised I was running late to meet my friend Adamantia, whom I met during my Masters. She kindly invited me to visit Greece, and I was so happy that I bought my ticket without hesitation. We met at Syntagma, and then went for a stroll down Ermou, Athens' busiest shopping street, and ended up in a cafe where I met her sister Nefeli, and her long time friends Christina and Angie, who would also be the best guides of Athens and Greece. They introduced me to one of my newest obsessions: cappuccino freddo, which is basically cold cappuccino, as it is so warm during the summer months in Greece. I was also unaware that Frappe was a Greek invention, so I tried the original one during my time there.

The girls had so many plans for me, and it was amazing to have locals show me around. The first stop was Monastiraki, a historical district with a multicultural vibe. We stopped at Monastiraki Square for some fine views of the Acropolis at sunset, and I suddenly had the impression that instead of going home, more and more people started flooding the square, coming and going, waiting to see where the night would take them. Our next stop during that first walking tour was Plaka, with its colourful and pretty houses. I must admit that I fell in love with Plaka, maybe because it was my home in Athens, or probably because of its laid-back atmosphere and impressive views of the Acropolis and of Mount Lycabettus.

We walked around Thissio afterwards, with its multiple cultural meeting points and cute cafes, and with Greek Shadow Puppet Theatre performances taking place everywhere. This traditional art form takes place in public squares mostly during summertime, and the stories are taken from Greek mythology and everyday life. We ended the day in Gazi, home to numerous clubs and bars, where we had beers at a Taratza (rooftop bar), with the best views of the Acropolis. Every now and then I had to look at the Parthenon and pinch myself to make sure it was real, it was happening, I was in Greece! We walked home through Kerameikos, the potter's quarter, with its impressive archaeological remains that looked like a perfect playground for a big kid like me.

With each passing day, I convinced myself that the beauty of Athens lies in the time you take to enjoy the city. The best way to enjoy the Greek capital is to allow its relaxing-meets-chaotic vibe to take over you. Athens is where Antiquity and Modernity are intertwined and shine at its best; it is where a cup of coffee becomes an opportunity to fix the world and its problems; it is where Greek people will show you that with crisis and all, there's always a reason to go out and enjoy life, and as they would say, Halali!

Wherever you go you will find love, and with it you will find power. Sometimes in the most unexpected ways, it will change you, and the best thing you can do is to embrace it. Athens in a nutshell is love and power. Once you've had a taste of its vibrant atmosphere, you'll feel it throbbing in the back of your mind, in every nerve, it will hit you like a rush of blood to the head. And you will always want to go back, and feel it again, and again and again.

Sunset at the Bath House of the Winds. 


Monastiraki Square at sunset. 

Sister love: Adamantia and Nefeli. 


Adamantia, Nefeli, and Angie at the Acropolis. 

The colours of Plaka. 

Cafe Giasemi, one of my faves in Plaka <3 

Beautiful Plaka.  

Thissio Open Air Cinema. 

Syntagma Square. 

Somewhere in Plaka. 

Monastiraki square. 

Views from Plaka. 

Walking around Plaka. 

Church of Panagia Kapnikarea on Ermou street. 

The Acropolis as seen from the Acropolis Museum. 

Mediterranean metropolis. 

Angie walking around Plaka. 

Plaka <3 


Creative and colourful: Psirri. 


Breathtaking views on top of Mount Lycabettus. 

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios