Con tecnología de Blogger.

A morning stroll around Anafiotika

By 3:30 p.m.

What if I told you it is possible to enjoy island vibes right in the heart of Athens? In case you don't believe me, you should definitely check out Anafiotika. Probably one of the most interesting places I've ever visited, this small neighbourhood in the Northeast side of  the Acropolis is a haven of peace and tranquility in this bustling metropolis.

Built by workers who emigrated from the Cycladic island Anafi in order to refurbish the palace of King Otto of Greece, Anafiotika was made to resemble the beauty of the home they left behind. With white-washed walls, bougainvillea flowers decorating every corner, and dead ends leading to terraces with amazing views of the city, Anafiotika is definitely a special place.

I woke up early on my last day in the Greek capital, a bit too early considering I was on my holidays, with only one thought in my mind: going for a morning stroll around Anafiotika. Without even eating breakfast, I made my way to the Acropolis hill, greeting everyone with 'Kalimera' or 'Yassas' and then asking them for directions, as it is not so easy to find this neighbourhood, where even some streets remain unnamed. I was told to cross a park, and to walk a couple of metres after which I would immediately see a small sign that reads 'Acropolis'. As soon as I entered Anafiotika, the intensity and hectic vibes from the city seemed so far away, and my ears could rejoice in a marvellous and exquisite silence.

At some point during my exploration of Anafiotika, I simply sat down to observe the wonderful views of Mount Lykavittos and Athens, with its rooftops shining under the blue Attika skies, almost like pearls adorning one of the most beautiful Mediterranean cities. Everything was so quiet, so I closed my eyes and enjoyed one of the most simple pleasures human beings can enjoy: silence.

As I made my way back to Plaka, I saw two elderly men having lunch in a house. They sat down next to each other and I stopped to observe. The whole scene was framed by the window of the house, and the Acropolis stood above them, so mighty and beautiful, and the silence was suddenly interrupted by the sound of their voices. Yet there was still silence in my heart, a peaceful sensation that I will always associate with the simple wonders of a place like Anafiotika.


Mount Lykavittos as seen from Anafiotika. 



Anafiotika views. 

Anafiotika. 


Anafiotika views. 

Walking around Anafiotika. 

Acropolis. 

Island vibes! 

Anafiotika views. 

Island vibes in the heart of Athens. 

Island vibes in the heart of Athens. 



You Might Also Like

0 comentarios