Con tecnología de Blogger.

Loti, Melling and the universality of Istanbul

By 3:45 p.m. ,

I have to agree with what Atatürk, the father of the Turkish Republic, once said:

Istanbul has its place in the hearts of all citizens.

This I know for a fact.

The day I visited the neighbourhood Eyüp, which is pretty far from the city center, I confirmed this.  In Eyüp you'll find the tourist magnet Pierre Loti Café, named after the French novelist and naval officer who adored Istanbul.
With the most breathtaking views of the Golden Horn (the Haliç), Pierre Loti Café is located atop the Pierre Loti Tepesi (Pierre Loti Hill). To get there you just have to take the cable car, which also offers impressive views of both coastlines of the Golden Horn and the Eyüp cemetery, with its interesting Ottoman tombstones.

Legend has it that Loti liked to come to this hill whenever he was in town. He is regarded as one of the best French descriptive writers of the second half of the 19th century. Although some Turkish intellectuals didn't really like him, he surely hasn't been forgotten and there's this Café to prove it.

So I sat down at a table and felt the sunrays caressing my face while I drank my çay (tea) and enjoyed the best of all views. From that spot, I saw Istanbul in yet another different way: everything seemed to be part of the vedute paintings of Constantinople that the German Antoine-Ignace Melling made. Even though centuries have passed, I could understand why Loti, Melling and so many others liked this place so much and why it became such an important part of their lives and works.

Istanbul has won a place in the hearts of so many prominent figures. But most importantly, it has won a place in my heart.

Melling flirting with us in the 21st century.

Pierre Loti Café.

Pierre Loti Café.

Pierre Loti Café.

Pierre Loti,French novelist and naval officer.

Hospitality at the Golden Horn.

The calm waters of the Haliç, the Golden Horn.

Like in a vedute by Melling. This view never gets old.

Eyüp cable car.

Loving the view at Pierre Loti Café.

Have a nice week,
Astrid

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios