Con tecnología de Blogger.

Arrival in Cappadocia, the beginning of a journey to the heart of Turkey

By 3:43 p.m.

Many thoughts crossed my mind when I was waiting to board the plane in Istanbul to Nevşehir, one of the provinces that composes the historical region of Cappadocia in Central Anatolia, Turkey. Among them I recall the most important one now: my trip to Cappadocia was a journey to the heart of a region whose beauty cannot be compared to any other place on Earth. Ever since I knew about Cappadocia I wanted to see the impressive rock formations and the "fairy chimneys" that are so common to the landscape.

After our arrival in Nevşehir, we took a transport to Göreme, a town with a population of about 2,500 that has become a major touristic spot within the Cappadocia region. The first impressions have stuck with me: an arid desert-like landscape as far as the eye could reach, occasionally a small town to one side of the road and the massive snow-covered Erciyes volcano in the distance. I was beyond excited.

Everything about Cappadocia is special. As a region of outstanding natural wonders and unmeasured historical importance, a visit to this corner of the world is a gateway to an ancient world that marvels us to this day.

The landscape of Cappadocia was formed by intense volcanic activity that created the rock formations that give this region its unusual appearance. In fact, we were told that the fairy chimneys still change through the action of wind, rain and snow that shape the soft volcanic tuff rock.

Cappadocia has been a very important region for many Empires throughout History, all of them leaving their imprint on this land. After the fall of the Hittite Empire, Cappadocia was a Persian satrapy (province). Some historians state that the name comes from the Persian word Katpatuka, 'the land of beautiful horses'.  It was also very important for early Christianity. Before the religion was accepted by the Byzantine Empire, early Christians were forced to hide in underground cities (like the ones of Kaymakli and Derinkuyu) during sieges. They also developed a special kind of primitive art that can still be seen today in the Göreme Open Air Museum and all over the region.
                                                                                ---

 I was in awe during that first day exploring Göreme. My brother was impressed as well. He said he finally felt he was on a perfect vacation. That first evening I walked to the town's sunset point while listening to the call to prayer and I didn't even want to blink. Before my eyes, all the surrounding valleys were as impressive as I had dreamt them. It was a dream of a dream. I was finally in Cappadocia!

 A house in Anatolia. 

With Mustafa, our new friend in Göreme, who kindly invited us to drink çay (tea). 

Happy in Göreme. 

Adriano, my brother and travel companion. 

Mezze plate, our first meal in Cappadocia.  

Manti are dumplings stuffed with spiced meat and then boiled or steamed. It's a very popular dish throughout Central Asia.  It was so delicious! 

The common area of the hostel were we stayed, Terra Vista. Totally recommended! 
Walking back to the hostel after the first exploration in Göreme. 


Sunset in Göreme. 


Another impressive view of the rock formations in Göreme. 


Sublime sunset spot in Göreme. 
Selfie with rock formations! 
Interior of a gift shop in Göreme. 
The end of my first day in Göreme. 

More of my time in Cappadocia coming soon!!
Astrid.


You Might Also Like

0 comentarios