Con tecnología de Blogger.

The power of music

By 3:32 p.m.

When I was 12 years old I started learning to play the saxophone at school. Almost every day of the week for the next 6 years I stayed after school hours to practice. I even went to school on Saturdays for band rehearsals, which involved the hideous getting up early routine on a weekend day. But this wasn't an impediment for me, because I wanted to play music.

Through music I was able to learn valuable life lessons from a very young age. I learned that you don't have to be the best, but you do have to try to do everything with passion, dedication and discipline.

On the other hand, travelling has allowed me to learn more from the world. I have also learned that there are in fact much more things that unite us, than those that separate us. One of them definitely has to be music. During all my travels I have kept my ears and heart open in order to appreciate how important music is in our lives. From listening to street musicians to going to concerts in large venues, I have understood that music makes the world turn. Music is the best solution to any problem, because it heals from within. It truly is the universal language of mankind and no matter where we are or with whom, enjoying music guarantees smiles.

So, let's celebrate music and its power to bring us together!

Street musician in Wurzburg, Germany. 

This band rocked the Old Main bridge in Wurzburg. Their cover of "Toxic" by Britney Spears made everyone
 smile. 

I spotted these percussionists during the Africa Festival in Wurzburg, Germany. 

In Wurzburg music is everywhere. View of the Marienberg Fortress from the Old Main bridge. 



Modern-day troubadour in the gypsy neighbourhood Sacromonte, Granada. 

"Pero mira la Alhambra, pero mira que bonita es". A nice rumba flamenca with this view of the Alhambra
and Sierra Nevada. Unforgettable! 

I visited Paris in December, right after Jim Morrison's birthday anniversary (December 8). I saw this boy
(with his mother) put flowers and presents on his grave. I was speechless. 

Sharing smiles in Montmartre, Paris. 

Godrays shine above this young musician in Paris. He and other 2 bandmates were selling their first EP  in Montmartre. 


Musique dans le Métro de Paris. 



So much art in one picture: a street musician plays traditional Ecuadorian folk songs for a group of ladies in a
restaurant decorated with paintings by master painter and sculptor Oswaldo Guayasamin, Imbabura, Ecuador. 

Taking a break before rehearsals in Panama City. 

I took this picture during one concert of the Panama Jazz Festival 2015. 

A jam session among friends, Ciudad del Saber, Panama City. 

Bro rocking the beach house in Panama. 

Gospel concert in Ciudad del Saber during the Panama Jazz Festival 2015. 

I think everyone who has visited the Casco Antiguo in Panama City lately has a picture of this old man. He plays mostly calypso songs in the Paseo de las Bovedas.

An old lady calls it a day in Quito's La Ronda street. 

Capoeira songs in Panama's Old town. 

Singing about God or love, or both maybe. I would love to learn Arabic to understand the lyrics. Amazing performance by  Tanoura dancers in Cairo, Egypt. 

Musician playing with the Tanoura troupe in Cairo. 


This man was peacefully playing music on Istanbul's most crowded avenue, Istiklal Caddesi. 

Songs under the Galata Tower, Beyoglu, Istanbul. 

Have a nice weekend,
Astrid

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios