Con tecnología de Blogger.

Heryer Taksim! A protest in Istanbul

By 5:56 p.m. , ,

Back in 2013, I took a module at the University called "History of the 20th and 21st century". Before the start of each one of his classes, the professor would ask us to read aloud a summary of a piece of news that we considered important. I remember one day in May in which I reported about the Gezi Park protests in Istanbul. After finishing, the professor told us something I will never forget.

"Do you know what's the most impressive fact about the current unrest in Turkey?", he asked me. I remained in silence. "It's young people of your age that are taking the streets to defend their city". He was without a doubt one of the best professors I had during my studies.

The 2013 Gezi Park protests began initially to confront a urban development program supported by the Turkish Government that consisted in transforming the Gezi Park, one of the few remaining green spaces in the centre of the Beyoğlu district on the European side of the city. The plan involved pedestrianising Taksim square and rebuilding the Ottoman-era Taksim military barracks, that were going to house a shopping mall and luxury flats.

It is estimated that 3.5 million of the country's 80 million people participated actively in the wave of demonstrations that started in Istanbul and spread across the country. At the core of these protests were issues like the freedom of speech and freedom of the press. The police brutally suppressed protesters with tear gas and water cannons. 22 persons lost their lives, 8,000 were injured and more than 4,000 arrests were made. In the end, the demolition of the park was stopped.

So, what has changed in the country since then?

The day after my arrival in Istanbul was perhaps one of the most tragic episodes in recent Turkish history. On May 13, 2014 an explosion inside a coal mine in Soma, southern Turkey, caused the death of 301 workers, in what was the worst mining disaster in the country's history. And I could feel it at Taksim square. Walking down Istiklal street, I heard the angry roar of the people, who gathered to show their sympathy for their fellow citizens. As you can guess, riot police was immediately sent to guard the area around the Ataturk monument and to avoid yet another massive wave of protests.

I can't say that everyone who participates in a protest does so to support a cause. But what I saw and felt that night at Taksim square was incredible: solidarity and commitment to a common cause. And I thought to myself that the real change is the one happening inside people, because it reflects in our societies. And that in itself is wonderful.
...I could almost hear the voices of the people that filled Taksim square a year before chanting "Diren Gezi ! Resist Gezi! Heryer Taksim! Taksim is everywhere! "


Taksim square, May 14 2014. 

Taksim square, May 14 2014. 

Riot police on Istiklal street, May 14 2014. 


Taksim square, May 14 2014. 

Taksim square, May 14 2014. 

Taksim square, May 14 2014. 


You Might Also Like

0 comentarios