Con tecnología de Blogger.

Writings about the book of life in Barcelona

By 10:51 a.m.

My first time in Barcelona was a roller coaster of emotions. I have to confess that since the moment of landing I had this really good feeling about the city. From all the fantastic and unique sights of a city that made Modernism its own, to new encounters with family and an old friend and the special atmosphere provided by the always tranquil Mediterranean Sea; Barcelona is probably one of the coolest cities in Europe, as some Canadian friends had already told me two years ago.

Probably one of the most striking aspects of Barcelona is the beauty of all the buildings and streets. It is impressive how the city has a unity, a kind of coherence, almost as if it had been designed entirely for the purpose of making people feel amazed and comfortable. This demonstrates that urban planning and public space use are two capital ideas in the development of Barcelona. My first realisation of this was when I walked down Gaudi Avenue on my first night out in the city and felt completely humbled as Sagrada Familia started to emerge from the treetops and surrounding structures; with every step I took it became even more imposing, grand, and inevitably it turned into one of those sights that will stay with me for a lifetime.

Other not-to-miss features here consist of all the architectural gems of Catalan Modernism, an art and literature movement with a legacy that can be observed in breathtaking places such as La Pedrera, Casa Batlló and Park Güell, envisioned by the genius mind of Antoni Gaudi. It wouldn't be exaggerated to state that Barcelona carries the soul of Gaudi, whose love for nature can be appreciated in all the forms and details of every structure he ever designed. This city owes so much to him and his colleagues who also worked to create a unique style in architecture for the sake of Catalonia and art.

I also really enjoyed strolling around the Gothic Quarter, with charming alleyways and Catalan flags adorning every other balcony. It's easy to get carried away by the desire of getting lost in these streets and I genuinely wouldn't mind going back for that and for another visit to La Boqueria market, which is the place to go if you want to have a taste of the freshest seafood and Catalan delicacies. After a nice stroll down the Ramblas, the best place to chill out was La Barceloneta, a popular place among locals to hang out and enjoy the soft breeze coming from the Mediterranean. It felt so nice to see the sea again, especially after being deprived of that view for such a long time!

For museum geeks there's a lot to see as well. I really enjoyed the MACBA, the Museum of Contemporary Art of Catalonia. In one of the inscriptions inside the museum I read that they aim to become the centre for contemporary art in the Mediterranean region, something which I found quite interesting, considering the history of the Muslim conquest of Spain and the influence of the Caliphate of Cordoba in this region during the Middle Ages.

If you want the best views of the Mediterranean and Barcelona, the castle of Montjuïc is a good place to visit. From here, your eyes will marvel at the splendid sights that the capital of Catalonia has to offer. I've found that every city I've visited which is bathed by Mediterranean waters is simply special and relaxing. From Malaga to Alexandria, my relationship with the Mediterranean continues to grow with every glance I have of it. Equally impressive is the palace of Montjuïc and the show of lights and music on Friday and Saturday that takes place at the magic fountains.

However, the absolute highlight of the trip was to finally see my cousin Lili after almost 9 months of being apart. She is also a great photographer and you can see some of her amazing work in her website Colecciona lo Sublime.
Travelling with her and her husband was so much fun and made the entire experience even more memorable. There was also a chance to meet an old friend again, Jose. He is currently studying his Masters in the city and is such a lovely person, who kindly joined me for a walk on the last day. Nothing better than seeing the city through someone else's eyes, especially if they have been living there for quite a while. I'm a truly lucky girl!

These past weeks have been really hard for me. I've loved and lost, and that is a part of life. However, whenever I feel like I can't fully express what I ought to say, what burns deep inside of me, I write. Writing  is not an activity only reserved for writers. In fact, we are all writers. Every single day we write the book of our lives.

When you write in your book of life, remember to write about the moments that took your breath away. This doesn't mean that you are denying the sad and disappointing moments. This just means that you've chosen to collect only the sublime, those moments that make you dream of more adventures and that bring you closer to the world. As my grandma once wisely wrote to my mom: "In the end, the most extraordinary thing that exists, is to transit through life only collecting the sublime." These words resonate in me more than ever and that quest of collecting the sublime will continue with me.

Lastly, don't ever let anyone take the pen and write for you. In the end, what really matters are the words that come out of your soul. So write them with passion, with tears in your eyes and a big smile on your face. Have the courage to write your own book and may it be the best book ever written.

I'll personally never forget how beautiful Tibidabo looked on my last night in Barcelona, on my way back to the metro station from Park Güell. On that warm and clear spring night I felt so happy to be there, so incredibly thankful for that wonderful view that I forgot about everything else. These are the moments that nobody can't take away from you. Live for them and cherish them, for they are the real treasures that you carry deep inside and that constitute the very core of who you are.

Another jewel of Catalan Modernism: Sant Pau Hospital. 

Gaudi avenue. 

In Barcelona there's always time to chill out. 

Sagrada Familia. 
Inside Sagrada Familia. 

Magnificent Sagrada Familia. 

Kiss of Judas, Sagrada Familia. 

Gaudi's final resting place inside Sagrada Familia. 

Plaza Catalunya. 

My gorgeous cousin Lili walking on the Ramblas. 

La Boqueria market. 

La Boqueria. 

La Boqueria. 


La Boqueria. 

Cathedral of Santa Maria del Mar.

Gothic quarter. 
Sistha at the Gothic quarter. 


La Barceloneta. 

Love is in the air. 

Happy travelling couple at the Gothic quarter. 

Rooftop of Casa Milà, also called La Pedrera. 


View to the Passeig de Gracia from La Pedrera. 

La Pedrera by Gaudi. 

Casa Batlló by Antoni Gaudi. 


Submerged in the ocean inside Casa Batlló

Rooftop details of Casa Batlló, with details of the dragon killed by Sant Jordi, the patron saint of Catalonia. 

Rooftop views in BCN. 

Palau Nacional on Montjuïc hill. 

Sunset at Montjuïc. 

Magic fountain of Montjuïc. 
The beautiful Mediterranean. 

View from Montjuïc castle. 



View of Tibidabo from Montjuïc castle. 

Jose at Poble Espanyol. 


Park Güell by Gaudi. 


You Might Also Like

0 comentarios